Ordering brushes from CDJapan

ghkim9

Ordering brushes from CDJapan

Postby ghkim9 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I just placed my first order with CDJapan for some Koyudo brushes. Can anyone advise on how best to do the shipping? I chose the 'mark as gift' option but I also chose fedex and I'm not sure that makes sense to do. I am in the US. Is there a customs issue with receiving a large shipment from CDJapan? Are there any fees? My total came to about $750. TIA!

Carlyn

Re: Ordering brushes from CDJapan

Postby Carlyn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Ghkim9, I used FedEx in the past and it was great until I got my Yakasugi set, then I got charged my first ever customs fee because the hair type and other info they wanted wasn't included, so Paeks and Wildlife got involved and charged fees. So now I use EMS which has been just as fast. I liked FedEx because I could have my package rerouted to one of their locations and I could pick it up at my convenience.

ghkim9

Postby ghkim9 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:19 pm

carlyn, how much customs did they charge? and was it related to the amount purchased or just to the type of hair used? what type of hair is the yakasugi set?

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:15 pm

@ghkim9 It was $148 and I'm still fighting the charges. I think it was more to do with the fact that a governmental agency had to look over my brushes. I had even contacted CDJ and they forwarded the info that customs needed. It's red squirrel.

ghkim9

Postby ghkim9 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:14 pm

oh wow, that is a lot of customs to pay! any idea how to avoid it? why did a governmental agency have to look over them? i'm really curious about the red squirrel brushes too, but not sure i want to order a set from CDjapan if they are going to charge me an extra 150$ in customs!

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:25 pm

ghkim9. Alk1113 also ordered hers by EMS and it sailed past customs. In my case I think it was because CDJapan did not include the correct paperwork for the hair type so parks and Wildlife got involved befits they sent the proper paperwork. That's why I'm fighting it. I told FedEx that I would get them the paperwork and they didn't wait for CDJ to furnish it. From what I read and understand, cosmetic brushes are exempt from taxes if they're valued under $1000 and are for personal use.

ghkim9

Postby ghkim9 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:44 pm

thanks carlyn, that does help a lot. my order is aruond 700$ so i guess i will risk shipping with fedex, and then wait and see what happens.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 pm

ghkim9 wrote:thanks carlyn, that does help a lot. my order is aruond 700$ so i guess i will risk shipping with fedex, and then wait and see what happens.

I hope you will post pictures of your new babies once you have them :D

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:36 pm

I had a similar issue with customs and FedEx. They said that It was because of the type of hair in the Kolinksy brushes and because of the lack of paperwork.

I let customs return the brushes rather than pay the fines. CDJapan quickly sent them again, but this time EMS. Since then, I've always used EMS and never had any issues.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:26 am

jilliciouscosmetics wrote:I had a similar issue with customs and FedEx. They said that It was because of the type of hair in the Kolinksy brushes and because of the lack of paperwork.

I let customs return the brushes rather than pay the fines. CDJapan quickly sent them again, but this time EMS. Since then, I've always used EMS and never had any issues.

Super valuable info right there.

I remember I requested Fed Ex on my first order from cdjapan, because I had read somewhere how quickly they were able to get brushes from Japan - but since then have used ems, and seems they are almost as fast, if not equally so.

Return to “Shopping”